Sunday, May 2, 2010

Branching out of bounds

It's the beginning of the last full week for my 30-day Paleo challenge. I'll admit to picking up a bar of 73% organic dark chocolate w/ almonds at TJ's one night. That thing was mad delicious with some dried apricots. So I guess the hardcore challenge would now be considered an epic fail but a serving only contained 8g of sugar so I don't actually feel too guilty. Emily of 2008 would have eaten half a tub of ice cream and a slice or two of pizza in a binge moment, Emily of 2010 feasting on half a bar of chocolate and dried fruit...yeah, not so horrible.
Moving on to the moment: today I made homemade mayo! I then utilized it to make curry chicken salad which was simply shredded white meat chicken, a hint of mayo, curry powder and a sprinkling of chopped walnuts. Some scallions would have been an amazing addition but since this is meant for tomorrow's work lunch I figured I'd sell more vehicles w/ sweet breath.

Paleo Mayo

1 egg
1 tsp organic Dijon mustard
.5 tsp sea salt
1 Tbl raw apple cider vinegar
1 cup olive oil (I used EVOO but a milder pressing would fare better)

Mix the egg, mustard, salt and vinegar in your food processor for about 20 seconds then slowly start adding a bit of oil at a time. I chose to turn the machine off, pour in more oil and then continue blending rather than pour while the Cuisinart was going (less messy my way). Blend it all up and you'll get real mayo in just a minute! Goodbye Kraft

No comments:

Post a Comment